Emily
Isaiah 58:8 (part 2)
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

To be honest, I never understood "your righteousness will go before you" until I read the fasting book by Jentezen Franklin. I knew this was one of the great promises for fasters, but I skipped over it since I didn't know what it meant. Here is what he says in the book,

"Your faith, your right standing with God, will cause you to move into areas where you would not have moved if you had not fasted. Doors will open that were not open before, your influence will go out (before you) like ripples in a pond."

Suddenly, I got it. I starting thinking of all the times this had happened and I didn't even realize it was a fruit from the fast. People I had come in contact with and the Lord open doors for me to share my faith and my experience with fasting. Doors starting opening so that blessings could pour out. I believe that this verse means that God prepares your way. He prepares other people and other situations, that are about to come down your path, to meet you. So when you walk in, their hearts are ready, to hear you, to help you, and to bless you. Ask God to let your righteousness go before you in all situations you are about to face. But really, I don't think you need to pray this verse at all. God knows situation you are about to cross and fasting naturally puts you in the best position for them.

"And the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard." These verses never seemed to go together until I understood the 'righteousness before you' part. But now I get it. Those situations and places that the Lord has prepared for you are exactly what His protection is all about. You won't be walking into the unknown alone. No, the Lion, your fiercest protector is unleashed! Shadrach, Mesach, and Abednego joined Daniel on his initial fast and were given the ultimate protection from the fiery furnace!

no weapon forged against you shall prosper,
and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
and their righteousness is from me,"
declares the LORD.
Isaiah 54:17
0 Responses

Post a Comment