Nikki
Emily introduced me to a book by Jentezen Franklin a few years ago during one of her fasts. The book is entitled, "Fasting". She was so excited about it that I went out and bought it and read it within a few days. I thought the teachings were fantastic and Jentezen does a great job at explaining how and why you should among giving and praying, fast. When I first read the book, that was it, I just read it. I took the things to heart that Jentezen was explaining, but never really thought about how it applied to my life.

I decided for this fast to read through the book again and earnestly seek out what lessons God is trying to teach me. I was so excited about what I read about tonight that I had to share. Yes, I am only 8 minutes into my fast and God is already speaking to me.

The first chapter of the book is entitled, "What is the secret?" He, Jentezen, referenced scripture from Matthew 6:1-18 where Jesus is speaking and saying that when you give, give in secret to the Father. Do not boast about the lavish gifts you are offering. Do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing. When you pray, pray in secret to the Father. Do not pray so that all the attention is called to you. Instead pray in this way, the way of the Lord's prayer. I have read and said the Lord's prayer many times but one particular line really stood out to me tonight, " Give us this day our daily bread". Allison, Shannon's girlfriend, and I were actually talking about this verse just a few weeks ago. Often times, we, and this is me most of the time, worry about how we are going to pay or bills for the month. We think about how we are going to get through the week with so little in our checking account, but we shouldn't. God will provide our DAILY bread!!!

One other lesson God taught me tonight was when I was reading about the healing of the demonic boy. Jesus had given the disciples the ability to heal, but they could not cast out the demons from the demonic boy. When they asked Jesus why they couldn't he responded by saying because you didn't believe. How often do we do this?? I especially, am the world's worse about praying about something and then in the next thought doubting that God can answer my prayer or meet my need. Hello?? This may be why some of our prayers are not answered. Jesus told his disciples that if you have faith as small as a mustard seed then you can move mountains. You must first believe it can happen and then nothing shall be impossible. "However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting." Matthew 17:21.

I look into 2011 and think about all of the great and miraculous things I want to see God do in my life. However, there is that small twinge of doubt that thinks that some of the things I am praying for are impossible. It's not that I think He can't do it because I know He can. It is just hard to believe He will. I believe this is why God taught me this lesson tonight, 8 minutes into the first day of my fast. How can I expect him to answer my prayers through this fast if I don't first believe he will??
1 Response
  1. Nikki Says:

    Not sure why this posted as Jan 2. I typed it on Jan 3- the first day of my fast. Anyway, I hope you will be blessed by reading the lessons God is teaching us through our fast.


Post a Comment