Nikki
I have been having trouble with my thumb- of all things- since Journey was born. It is the strangest thing. I just noticed one day that I could not bend my thumb with out effort and pain. I pondered what I could have done to my thumb, but could not think of anything. This pain has been going on for several weeks, but I thought it would just get better on its own since it seemed to come completely on its own. It has become quite a nuisance. I took for granted how important it was to be able to bend your thumb. See, I am right handed, so writing is something I do now with great effort. I have to physically bend my thumb to hold a pen, pencil, marker, etc.... and then "pop" it back out when I am finished.

I have this week off, so I decided it was time to go to the doctor. I went yesterday and with one look they immediately knew what was wrong with my thumb. I have something called "trigger finger". You have tendons in your thumb that are connected at the bottom of your hand. For some reason, they say it may have been due to my recent pregnancy and gestational diabetes because they see this in a lot of women who have recently delivered and diabetics, this tendon has developed scar tissue. Because of this scar tissue, my tendon seems to get stuck. The doctor gave me two options to fix my thumb. I can do cortisone injections, but this is not permanent, or have a minor surgical procedure where they will go in and cut the scar tissue out. I opted for the latter. Having the surgical procedure will ensure that my thumb is permanently fixed. Yay!

I can not wait to have a normal thumb again!!!
0 Responses

Post a Comment