Emily
Romans 8:26-27

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Sometimes I think I pray for the wrong things. Just as in yesterday's blog about Lazaras when Mary and Martha prayed for one thing and received another, I frequently get what I didn't pray for which leads me to believe that I prayed for the wrong thing. It's good that God knows better and loves us enough not to listen to us all the time. Parents do the same thing with their children. We know what they need or really want because we have more experience. This past Christmas, we talked James into a big boy bike. He wanted to ask Santa for a bunch of little toys that he would be bored with in a month or that would get broken easily. "Don't you want a bike? You can ride it all summer when the weather is nice....". And it didn't take long for him to really want a bike for himself too. He began to see that it really was the best idea. In the same way, that's how the Holy Spirit persuades us. He knows the heart and mind of God, because He is God. The Spirit also know us through and through and can lead us to do and pray for the right things. The Holy Spirit is the only one who knows the will of God and can help us pray so that we are on the same page as God's will. That's all I really want. There are things that I pray for that I know come from my flesh and selfish desires and I know that is only human nature. But all I really want is to be in God's will, for my desires to match His. What good is all that selfish crap I want when it has no eternal value?
0 Responses

Post a Comment